Common Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse is not just physical. Sadly, seniors across the country suffer from many different forms of abuse in their nursing homes.
Our Louisville personal injury attorneys discuss the common types of nursing home abuse and how to identify them.
Identifying Different Forms of Nursing Home Abuse
Below, we discuss the five main forms of nursing home abuse and how to identify them:
- Physical abuse: This involves the use of physical force that may result in bodily injury or pain to a senior. The warning signs of physical abuse include unexplained broken bones, bruising, and broken eyeglasses.
- Emotional abuse: This involves the infliction of anguish or pain on a senior. The warning signs of emotional abuse include withdrawal and unusual behavior resembling dementia, including biting and rocking.
- Sexual abuse: This involves any non-consensual sexual contact, coerced nudity, and more. The warning signs of sexual abuse include unexplained STDs, torn or bloody underwear, and more.
- Financial abuse: This involves the improper or illegal use of a senior’s funds, assets, or property. The warning signs of financial abuse include unexplained ATM withdrawals, subscription services, cashed checks, and more.
- Neglect: This involves the refusal or failure to provide an elderly person with the essential qualities of life, including food, water, medicine, shelter, clothing, and more. The warning signs of neglect include untreated medical conditions or bed sores, poor personal hygiene, and more.
Suspect Nursing Home Abuse? We’re Here to Help
If you suspect your loved one has experienced any form of abuse in their nursing home, our Louisville personal injury attorneys are here to hold perpetrators accountable for their actions. We have the resources and experience needed to fight for your loved one’s rights.
Contact Charles W. Miller & Associates at (502) 890-9954 to schedule a free, confidential case evaluation.