Don’t Slip Up: What to Do If You Fall on an Icy Sidewalk

Woman slipping on ice

Slipping and falling on an icy sidewalk can be a dangerous and even life-threatening experience. In this situation, knowing what to do to protect yourself is essential. Our Kentucky slip-and-fall attorneys outline the steps you should take if you fall on an icy sidewalk.

Proving Negligence

The first step you should take after a slip-and-fall accident is proving negligence. To recover compensation for your injuries, you must prove that the property owner or occupier was negligent and liable for your injuries. Property owners are required by law to maintain the sidewalks in front of their buildings so that customers and people on the street can safely navigate them. If a property owner knows that their sidewalks are icy and dangerous, it is their responsibility to remedy the situation to prevent people from slipping and falling.

Document the Conditions

Documenting the conditions of the sidewalk will be very important to your case. For a property owner or occupier to be held liable for your slip-and-fall accident, you must prove that they did not keep their sidewalks safe and in good condition. You should document the actual conditions of the sidewalk and any prior conditions that were reported but never fixed. This can be documented through pictures, prior written complaints, etc.

Report Your Injury

After your slip-and-fall accident, you should report your injury to the property owner or occupier. They will be responsible for taking care of any medical expenses that arise from the accident. You may also want to consider filing a claim against the property owner’s insurance company if they deny responsibility for your injuries and expenses.

Seeking Legal Help

After you fall on an icy sidewalk, it is also vital to seek legal help as soon as possible. A slip-and-fall attorney can protect your legal rights and fight to recover compensation for your injuries. Contact an attorney to learn more about your legal options if you have suffered a slip-and-fall accident. We hope you will find this information helpful if you are in a similar situation.

Contact us by calling (502) 890-9954 or through our online form today for a free consultation.

Related Posts
  • How Do I Know If I Have a Valid Medical Malpractice Case? Read More
  • Who Is More Likely to Commit Nursing Home Abuse? Read More
  • What Is the Financial Abuse of a Senior? Read More